The slides from the talk are below, and this is the gist of the presentation:
- The theme we picked was SEO & brand marketing.
- Post-Panda & Penguin the opportunities for SEO are still great, greater even as we stop treating it as direct response and explore its potential. Brand marketing, the whole shebang, is a real opportunity.
- SEO professionals have an opportunity to be key players in an even bigger market now.
- The market correction in brand spend is real: brands are switching budget into non-paid media. That means us.
- Integrated Earned Media is the key: To be a coherent alternative to paid media approaches, earned media needs to scale, to mature.
- But integrated disciplines need to pull together: Arguments about social vs SEO, content vs social, SEO vs content are a distraction. In reality they are utterly dependent on one another to achieve success.
- Regardless, speak to CMOs and brand marketers’ needs in their own language – think about their priorities and language – stress the benefits not the features of SEO.
- If in doubt focus on the customer’s behaviours and needs – SEO can help brands get closer to customers and understand them better at every stage of the consumer decision journey.